Posted on Oct 18, 2017
The Kansas City, Kansas Rotary Club, at its October 10, 2017, luncheon, recognized this year’s Public Safety professionals from the Kansas City, Kansas Fire Department.
Annually the Club recognizes an outstanding public safety professional from the Fire Department.  This Kansas City, Kansas Rotary Club program demonstrates and shows appreciation to the individuals who do so much to protect our community.  The leadership of the Fire Department selects an outstanding individual(s) from their department to receive this award, recognizing the individual’s dedication and service to our community.
We would like to extend our gratitude to Senior Captain Benjamin J. Huyett and Firefighter Brandon Rogers.  They are prime examples of the great men and women of the KCK Fire Department who are protecting us every day.  At the award presentation, Chief John Paul Jones introduced the firemen and told of their efforts in a recent fire.  Also in attendance were a number of the station’s fellow firefighters.
Pictured (left to right):  KCK Fire Chief John Paul Jones, Firefighter Brandon Rogers, Senior Captain Benjamin J. Huyett, and  KCK Rotary Club President Fred Zimmerman
According to Chief Jones, upon arrival at a home under heavy fire, the two firefighters heard someone calling for help. They tried to enter from the backside of the structure, but due to the heavy fire, had to enter through the front porch of the building. Captain Huyett and Firefighter Rogers made entry to conduct a search.  As Captain Huyett entered the structure he could hear a faint noise. As he advanced towards the rear of the home he found a female victim. The two firefighters moved the victim through the burning structure contending with fire, heat and heavy smoke and were met by other firefighters inside the front door. It was there where they handed the victim off to other firefighters and she was transported to the hospital. They then turned their attention to fighting the fire. If these firefighters had not acted without hesitation, the female victim would not have survived.  The victim has since recovered from her injuries after several weeks in intensive care.